Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rejoicing with Cannonballs

The golden sun has been shining a little too brightly the last two weeks. Even though we've been blessed with afternoon showers, once the sun pushes aside the storm clouds, it concentrates its heat once again on the earth below, scalding the plants.

Half my inpatients are dead. The periwinkles aren't too far behind. Suffice it to say I have not been thanking God for the sun and the heat.

But then a few weeks back, Andrea over at A Parson's Wife wrote a convicting post about gratitude. Ever since then, it's like God has been the kid sitting in the desk behind me, continually poking me every time I have a negative thought about the heat and whispering 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 in my ear: "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks."

So, last week, I invested in some rejoicing and giving of thanks in the form of a very small Wal-mart swimming pool.

CANNONBALL!!! Now that is a face that's giving thanks for the heat. Amazing how children seem to intrinsically how to make the best (and worst) of any given situation. There's no middle ground with them. Maybe I'll take some pointers.

1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE THIS!

    What a blessing your thankfulness has done! We were just talking about getting a bigger pool (not too big, like the one in this pic) for Sophie to replace her first very small pool so that she can do some splashing this weekend for the Fourth.

    Small thing. Great joy.

    I not only fall short in the thankfulness category (and the verse you mentioned is what I try to remember. In ev-ery-thing!), but I also fall short in the outdoors category.

    Love the beach. Want to go. BADLY. And I want to take care of the landscaping like you so patiently do. Really I do. But it's just not in me. So coming up with a motivator is BIG for me.

    And the pool did it! The picture says it all.

    Thanks for your thankfulness. It's contagious.

    Rena @ insertgracehere

    ReplyDelete