Friday, June 19, 2009

Perfect Timing

I once read somewhere that God's timing perfect--He is never late and He's definitely never early. But sometimes He sure seems to be running late...and other times, He seems to be a no show. For those moments, it's only in hindsight (sometimes years later hindsight) that I understand His perfect timing. In some instances, I still don't understand His timing.

But this is not one of those moments.

My parents have been talking about driving to Michigan to visit my Grandma. I've felt irrationally compelled to go show her the babies, but that's just too far to drive. Then, a couple weeks ago, some family members went on a vacation to Disney World. I felt a twinge of jealousy. The last straw was when I heard that other family members might be going to Hawaii this fall. At that, I piped up and said, "God, what I need is a vacation." I had visions of my little ones eating sand on the Alabama beach. And that was that.

I didn't mean for Him to really answer that request.

It wasn't important enough to pray about.

It was just one of those spur of the moment sentences sent heavenward. You know--the kind that make people look at you funny because there's no one around for you to be talking to. And if you try to explain, "Oh, it's ok. I'm not crazy. I'm just talking to God," they still act like that's nuts because talking to God should only be done on one's knees in a closet.

Well, yesterday, Doug comes home telling me about this 4 day training he needs to attend and it's only offered in Toronto, CA. Do I want to go, too? Huh? I can't wrangle 3 kids alone in a foreign city. Maybe my mom can go. What? Toronto is only 5 hours from my Grandma's house? And my daddy wants to go, too?

So, 5 plane tickets later, I'm getting my vacation the last week of August.

I think I'm crazy.

I don't know how to pack for 5 instead of for 3. I don't know how to entertain small children in confined spaces! I can see it now: I'm going to be the one receiving death stares on the plane as my twins cry and Wyatt barks like a dog.

But I'm thankful. So thankful. God was listening. Even to some statement I hastily made to Him. He listened. How amazing is that?

1 comment:

  1. Pretty amazing.

    I'm thinking He's hearing my pleas for the beach. And I'm thinking He is more than willing to satisfy my longing to go to the beach with my family. A longing that I've been having since Sophie was born.

    Hint, hint.

    Okay. You have over a month to prepare. I'd start by checking out tips on Works For Me Wednesday on how to pack for vacations for multiples. You might even want to go back to the original host, rocks in my dryer, and search her posts.

    Meanwhile, I'll forward any tips I find.

    I'm tired just thinking about it. But I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. After all, God lined it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete