Monday, May 18, 2009

Defiance

You haven't heard from me much this past week because I've spent all my energy dealing with a defiant toddler. He's been doing so well--three weeks of success using the potty....and then like a sudden summer thunderstorm, it all hit last Monday and decided to just sit on top of our house all week. The twins just sit there staring at his outbursts like he's lost his mind.

I keep telling myself, "It's a phase. He'll grow out of it," but in the mean time, I have been trying to figure out the trick to making him obey since what was working no longer is. I'm back counting to 3 (I thought we'd outgrown that), putting him in his room (because, honestly, this mom doesn't want to see that ugly, grumpy face), and repeating (again) the lecture about actions having consequences. Sigh.

His rebelliousness reached a peak on Saturday. Apparently, when I piled all three kids in the van to return home, I looked like I'd had it and was ready to buy a cage just for him because my parents had waiting for me Sunday a beautiful blooming cactus whose spines curl under at the end. Yes, I accept pity cacti.

Today, he was no angel, but counting to 3 is working again, he only had one accident in his underware, and he only got stuck in his room once. But, in the midst of this all was some sweetness, so I thought I'd pass along an image of brotherly love. He does love his babies, and if they're crying, he tells me to go take care of them. If only all moments could be this sweet, I wouldn't feel like a semi had run over me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment