Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blessings & Curses

I "believe" the Word of God, but when I see it lived out, I'm still in jaw-dropping awe of the Scriptures that come to life as I merely sit and watch. Perhaps it's the difference between believing by faith and believing by sight that leaves me speechless. Perhaps it's remnants of unbelief that I'm forced to face when I see God's words jump off the page. Or perhaps it's a little of both.

Over the past 3 years, the only thing I've ever asked God to do to those who have done evil to us is bring them to repentance in Him. Why? I honestly believe the only way the truth will ever be known on this earth is if they sell out to Jesus. Through it all, in the back of my mind, God's promise to Abraham has continued to resound like a church bell: "And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed" (Genesis 12:3). I know this verse applies to Israel, but as one who is grafted in to the Vine, I've seen evidence of it applying to me, too.

We're living the blessing. In all the trials, in all the losses, in all the sadness, God has still blessed so enormously beyond anything we deserve--our jobs, our children, our marriage, our family. I've seen twice a company's workload miraculously increase when Doug started working there, then go back to "normal" when he left. God has always provided, even in our darkest moments.

And now, we're seeing the other part of that verse, the curse, and it's frightening. When Doug and I read the article, we just sat there in stunned silence. In the last year, Doug's former employer, who refused to stand by him, has lost his career, his wife, his family, his mom, and his dad, each in a different way.

I can't tell you how much these events terrify me beyond anything I've ever felt before. I am far from perfect, myself, and God could just as easily pass immediate judgment on me for my sin. It gives new meaning to the phrase "repent before it's too late." Have mercy on them, Lord. Have mercy on me and my family as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment