Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to School

Today was "back to school" for me in a sense. Early this morning, eight women in the Ladies' Bible Study class sharpened their pencils, stretched their mental muscles, and got serious about learning about Jesus.

There's just nothing like cracking open the tight spine of a new Bible study. Diving back in the Word with other women who have a burning heart like mine to learn the heights and depths of The Bible! What messages does it hold for me? What truths have I read a thousand times yet haven't really discovered them yet?

If you have never ventured into the realm of in-depth Bible study, then I can't totally explain the wonder of it to you. It's something you have to experience to truly understand--like a hot out of the oven chocolate chip cookie. I can describe it to you. I can show you pictures. But there's nothing like the taste of one in your mouth.

Anointed. Transformed. Redeemed.

What a title.

And the authors? It's like the top of the order in a baseball lineup.

Priscilla Shirer. Beth Moore. Kay Arthur.

Heavy hitters. They're part of my "Dream Team." You know, those people you'd love to meet but if you did, you would definitely embarrass yourself because you couldn't stop talking about how you feel like you know them because they've been such an integral part of your life?

I just want to give you a taste of that chocolate-chip cookie. Because of copyright law, I only have the words from Priscilla Shirer's website. No, it's not the same as listening to a Godly, Spirit-filled black woman getting down with some preaching. But it's still powerful stuff. And if you want your cookies steaming hot, Lifeway.com sells the book and the videos:

He is the First and Last,
The Beginning and the End!
He is the keeper of Creation and the Creator of all!
He is the Architect of the universe and the Manager of all times.
He always was, He always is, and He always will be...
unmoved, Unchanged, Undefeated, and never Undone!

He was bruised and brought healing!
He was pierced and eased pain!
He was persecuted and brought freedom!
He was dead and brought life!
He is risen and brings power! He reigns and brings Peace!

The world can't understand him,
The armies can't defeat Him,
The schools can't explain Him,
and The leaders can't ignore Him.

Herod couldn't kill Him,
The Pharisees couldn't confuse Him,
and The people couldn't hold Him!

Nero couldn't crush Him,
Hitler couldn't silence Him,
The New Age can't replace Him,
and "Oprah" can't explain Him away!
He is light, love, longevity, and Lord.
He is goodness, Kindness, Gentleness, and God.
He is Holy, Righteous, mighty, powerful, and pure.

His ways are right,
His word is eternal,
His will is unchanging,
and His mind is on me.

He is my Savior,
He is my guide,
and He is my peace!
He is my Joy,
He is my comfort,
He is my Lord,
and He rules my life!

I serve Him because
His bond is love,
His burden is light,
and His goal for me is abundant life.

I follow Him because
He is the wisdom of the wise,
the power of the powerful,
the ancient of days,
the ruler of rulers,
the leader of leaders,
the overseer of the overcomers,
and is to come.
And if that seems impressive to you,
try this for size.

His goal is a relationship with ME!
He will never leave me,
never forsake me,
never mislead me,
never forget me,
never overlook me,
and never cancel my appointment in His
appointment book!

When I fall, He lifts me up!
When I fail, He forgives!
When I am weak, He is strong!
When I am lost, He is the way!

When I am afraid, He is my courage!
When I stumble, He steadies me!
When I am hurt, He heals me!
When I am broken, He mends me!
When I am blind, He leads me!
When I am hungry, He feeds me!

When I face trials, He is with me!
When I face persecution, He shields me!
When I face problems, He comforts me!
When I face loss, He provides for me!
When I face Death, He carries me Home!
He is everything for everybody everywhere, every time, and every way.
He is God, He is faithful.
I am His, and He is mine!
My Father in heaven can whip the father of this world.
So, if you're wondering why I feel so secure, understand this...

He said it and that settles it.
God is in control,
I am on His side,
and that means all is well with my soul.
Everyday is a blessing for GOD Is!

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Woot!

    Looking forward to hearing what you find out in this study. I've heard it's awesome.

    I loved this line that you wrote, Jennifer:

    "What truths have I read a thousand times yet haven't really discovered them yet?"

    That's a very good thing for all of us as believers to remember. God's Word is alive and active, and falls fresh on our ears with each read (even those passages that have rolled over our tongues repeatedly!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome poem! Will try to get a hold of the book and the audio cd.

    I also want to thank you for the very loving and encouraging comments you left on my post a few days ago. Thank you for caring, and for understanding my heart. I really appreciate your going out of the way to write what's on your heart.

    Yes, it is good sound advice and I'm working on it.

    Love
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete