Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Good Book for the Vacationing Beach Bum

Just the mere act of flipping the calendar from the plump, juicy strawberries of April to the purple dripping wisteria clusters of May makes me feel a sudden urge to give my brain a break...to be lazy.

That plus a head-thumping, intense Bible study, and I wanted something lighter to fill the gap before lights out. Phil Callaway's newest book, To Be Perfectly Honest: One Man's Year of Almost Living Truthfully Could Change Your Life. No Lie fit the bill perfectly.

Set up in a diary-like entry format, Callaway humorously narrates his year-long experiment with telling the truth in all situations. No little white lies.

It was pretty much what I expected, no surprises. Yet, it did make me smile a good bit, chuckle occasionally, and laugh out loud once or twice.

Even in the humor, though, the text addresses some serious issues regarding a follower of Christ's commitment to being honest and how far that honesty can go before being just plain rude. What I found most convicting is Callaway's relating honesty to his problem with confronting someone in love, as Christ commanded in Scripture.

While this isn't high brow literature, I found it easy to pick up and put down without having to backtrack and find out where I was--perfect for a summer read.

**I receive no compensation for my review, merely a complimentary copy of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment